Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Baked French Toast

No one eats the ends/heels/butts from a loaf of bread around here.  And that's actually fine by me.  (I don't like them, either.)  I stash them away in the freezer and make this French toast when I have about 6 loaves worth of crusts, about 12 pieces of bread total.  (Can you tell my grandparents lived in the Depression?)  I made it as a "special" breakfast for the first day of school last week.  



(I made this in an 8 x 10 pan and it made 12 pieces.  I also made it the night before.)

Ingredients:
12 end pieces from loave(s) of bread (or just use 12 pieces of bread)
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Grease baking dish.  Tear bread into dish.  Mix remaining ingredients and pour over bread, soaking it.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.  Serve with syrup if you wish.  

My kids gobbled this up and headed out the door with full bellies!       

2 comments:

  1. Good call, Tricia -- I keep forcing myself to eat the bread heels to not be wasteful, but this looks like a much better solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog. Nice explanation with helpful information.
    For sofa repair work contact thesofastore gives Sofa Refurbishing in Bellandur,Bangalore

    ReplyDelete